Today I am showing you a layer cake made to celebrate little Alice's first birthday.
It was for me to create the central piece of the sweet table (prepared by his parents) which had for theme "Alice in Wonderland".
This creation bears the colors of the famous "Cheshire Cat" (pink & purple). This layer cake consists of 4 layers of sponge cake, garnished with vanilla cream and cherry jelly.
I'll tell you the recipe below!
Layer cake pink & purple
- Preheat the oven to 170 ° C traditional heat.
- In a food processor, beat 145g of softened butter and 360g of powdered sugar.
- Add 2 whole eggs beaten beforehand and 2 tsp of liquid vanilla.
- Incorporate in two parts 290ml of whole milk and 360g of flour, alternating between each.
- Finish by adding 1,5tsp of baking soda and 1/4tsp of salt.
- Divide the dough into two containers: in the first add the pink coloring, in the second add the purple coloring (some knife tips, to adapt according to your coloring).
- Separate each container again into two equal parts to obtain enough to fill 4 molds 15cm in diameter. NB: you can also choose to cook several times in succession if you do not have 4 identical molds.
- Bake each sponge cake for 30 minutes. Let cool then unmold on a rack.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat 24cl thick or semi-thick crème fraîche in whipped cream.
- Add 110g of icing sugar and 1tsp of liquid vanilla extract.
- Add 300g of plain Philadelphia and 300g of mascarpone.
- Whisk at maximum speed for a few moments, the icing should take on visibly consistency.
Assembly of the layer cake
- Place a 15cm cardboard support on your cake pan (which will be used for the service). Secure it with a little icing.
- Ideally, take a turntable to put under your cake pan, the icing will be easier to achieve.
- Take the 1st cake, fix it on the cardboard support using a knob of icing.
- Cover the 1st cake with a layer of vanilla icing then with a layer of cherry jelly then place the 2nd cake. Ditto, layer of icing then layer of cherry jelly then ditto 3rd and 4th cake.
- Place a layer of icing on top of the last cake and spread over the layer cake using a spatula to cover it completely. Be careful, this layer must be very thin, you can see the cakes through.
This layer is called "crumb-coat", it is essential because it avoids having cake crumbs in its final icing!
- Put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Finally, make the desired decoration, by first covering the layer cake with a good layer of icing on the top and sides using a spatula.
- Once the layer cake is completely covered in white, color the remaining icing in pink and purple. Garnish 2 piping bags fitted with 2D Wilton type fluted tips to create the decoration on the base and top of the cake. Cover with small edible pink balls. And voila!
Keep cool before tasting.
[ Equipment used ]
It is superb!
It is beautiful, you are very gifted say so! thanks for sharing the recipe with us!
it is superb, well done!
I have a question for making the icing: which whisk should I use? (I have a Kenwood): pastry whisk, foil? thank you !
Hello Argone, for the icing you make the whipped cream with the whisk as usual and you make the rest of the mixture (mascarpone-philadelphia etc.) with the leaf. @ soon!
I did it three times, but never succeeded in making the icing in a pastry bag because it was not firm enough ...
Hence my question ... should you make the icing in advance, style the day before and let it cool and take in the fridge before putting it in a pastry bag to make the decoration? (to cover the cake it was fine on the other hand)
Thank you in advance :-)
Hello Marie, indeed a passage in the refrigerator makes it possible to solidify a cream-based icing @ soon
it is just superb! ; P
It is superb!
I would have liked to see the inside))
How pretty he is !!!!
Waoouhh, what an incredible job… it's just superb!
The result is great and really makes you want to stick your spoon in it. Anyway, it really makes me want to give it a try, even though I don't think I have your talent for baking. Bravo for your blog and your many recipe tips.
Celine from Mamanatable.com
One word: superb… I am always impressed by this kind of achievement! And what a finish.
This Layer Cake is very beautiful !! Well done.
yum ... I put a comment without really having something to say! it just makes you want ^^
Wow! This Layer Cake is simply beautiful! I will dream of having such a cake for my birthday =) Kisses and again well done
hello, I read your blog carefully to finally get started tomorrow my son asks me for a big colored cake inside but with vanilla
I see that you have different recipes for each preparation… ..
I opt for the “alice” or the “pink” which tempts me completely without the roses for my boy but with a more “guy” decoration…
What do you advise ???
Hello Saly, it's up to you to see if you prefer the chocolate or vanilla cake. For a guy's decoration, don't hesitate to put blue dye in your white icing! @ soon
Beautiful, how many parts is this cake please?
Hello, I would say about 15 parts depending on the size of the cut… @ soon
I asked my boyfriend to make this cake (he has a baker-pastry-caterer friend to help him out) for my birthday party it looks so good!
Hello Justine, with two men in the kitchen, I imagine the cake was successful! :-) @ soon
I tested this layer cake and it was a real success
It was, very good, the cake is tender. For the icing I only used mascarpone because I find that the Philadelphia leaves a salty aftertaste that not everyone likes. I also made a kind of frozen sugar + red fruit jam, instead of the cherry jelly.
On the other hand, I covered the layer cake with the creamy vanilla icing used for the red velvet layer cake.
It was really very very good !! I just encountered one difficulty: how do I smooth out my layer cake? I tested different technique but I never managed to present a smooth cake like yours. Do you have a particular technique?
I also want to thank you, I must have been “leafing through” your site regularly for about 5 years, and every time I test one of your recipes, it always works, and above all, It IS GOOD !!! I'm not in the habit of giving myself recipe books, but yours, I count on it… I would have liked it to be autographed too, you don't come to Nice by chance? :)))
Thank you very much
Hello Yassou and thank you for your message. Happy to count you among the faithful :-) For the smoothing, I use a simple angled spatula. You have to be pretty thorough and have time. The rest follows! I don't know the French Riviera, but if I come to discover it one day why not a dedication! @ soon
This recipe really makes me want.
I wanted to know how to store the cakes made the night before.
Keeping them in a plate wrapped in cling film is enough for a good conservation?
Thank you very much
I made them the day before and once cooled, individually wrapped in cling film before leaving them in the fridge. Perfect.
Hello Mouna, yes it's perfect for conservation, @ soon
Tested and approved! I was afraid the cream might not be to the taste of the family's 'traditional palates' but, no, just perfect. On the other hand, I do not yet understand why but I had to redo the cream; the first time it has like 'turned: - /
I will not hesitate to come back to draw on your recipes!
Hello Mathilde and thank you for your return!
Hello, can we remove the philadelphia and put only the crème fraîche and the mascarpone, thank you for answering me
Yes it is possible, to test with your own dosages.
Hello thank you for these wonderful recipes. I am embarking on a birthday cake for my son's 1 year old. I wanted to replace the cherry jelly with caramelized apples !! I only have a 20 cm mold for 15 people. How long do you think should I leave in the cooking? Thank you so much !
Hello, for cooking you have to go 10 minutes by 10 minutes by testing with a peak;)
I have the pleasure of making your cake for my niece's birthday; little question, can I make the whole cake the day before and keep it in the fridge, or for the icing everything has to be done the day before?
I have already made several of your recipes and it is a great success every time. Your blog made me want to do new work every time, thank you for sharing, it's a great pleasure for our taste buds
Hello Maëva, thank you for your loyalty to the blog :) You can do the assembly the day before by keeping it in the fridge under a bell to protect it from odors. See you soon :)