A very soft and fragrant recipe: the Carrot cake and its creamy icing. Carrot and spice cake is the ultimate comforting dessert. Here in a layer cake version for even more indulgence ...
For those who are new to carrot cake, don't be put off by the word "Carrot" : we do not feel the taste of the carrot in the cake but it brings an ideal moisture / softness to the cake, you will see.
What exactly is carrot cake?
This carrot cake is widely consumed in Anglo-Saxon countries. In the United States, it even has its national day, the 3 February !
The carrot cake is a cake soft texture and a little wet thanks to the grated carrots added to the preparation. His warm spices, cinnamon and nutmeg, add a very pleasant comforting side (and it smells delicious in the kitchen).
It is usually accompanied by a cream cheese frosting (Philadelphia). Its flavor goes perfectly with that of carrot cake. I like its creamy texture, which can be eaten almost on its own with a spoon ...
To bring a little crunchy touch to the tasting, I added crushed nuts in the cake, it remains optional but personally, I love it.
How to make a carrot cake with icing?
For this big cake, you can go there take in advance. For example, make the 3 levels of carrot cake in advance and wrap them in cling film to keep them until the D-day of the icing.
So we start by preparing carrot cake. First mix the oil and brown sugar. Don't be afraid of the amount of oil, for a cake of this size it's normal, and it allows you to have a lot of softness. Then add the eggs one by one and the vanilla.
Separately, the dry ingredients are mixed together and then added to the wet ingredients. Finally we finish by adding the grated carrots and crushed walnuts to the dough. We pour into 3 molds of 15cm in diameter and we put it in the oven.
To realize icing, we first whip the butter so that it is creamy and then add the cream cheese. A little icing sugar and vanilla, then the icing is ready!
To mounting, we place the first disc on the serving cake pan. I advise to use a turntable to put below it is easier to decorate. Then cover this first cake disc with a layer of icing. We put down the second disc and so on. After a thin covering layer (and a time in the fridge), we fill the entire cake with icing.
Other recipes to try
If you like this kind of dessert, then I advise you to take a look at these other recipes from the blog:
- Kanelbullar Swedish cinnamon buns
- Pecan butternut cake with icing
- Vanilla pear bundt cake with icing
- Cinnamon pear crumble
- Layer cake gingerbread cinnamon icing
If you make this recipe, don't hesitate to tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your beautiful layer cakes!
Carrot cake, the carrot and spice cake
- 300 g of flour
- 180 g brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml rapeseed oil
- 330 g grated carrots
- 0,75 tbsp of natural vanilla extract
- 0,75 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1,5 tsp baking soda
- 0,75 cc of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 0,33 tsp nutmeg
- 80 g crushed walnuts + for decoration
- 450 g natural fresh cheese Philadelphia at room temperature
- 180 g soft butter at room temperature
- 1/2 tbsp of natural vanilla extract
- 240 g icing sugar to be dosed according to your taste
- Preheat the oven to 170 ° C traditional heat.
- Start by making the 3 levels of cakes. Butter and flour 3 round molds 15cm in diameter.
- In a bowl, combine the oil and brown sugar. Add the eggs one by one and the vanilla. Separately, mix the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and baking soda). Gradually pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix to homogenize. Pour in the grated carrots and crushed walnuts, mix one last time.
- Cook for about 30 minutes (check doneness with a wooden pick). Let cool and unmold on a grid.
- Prepare the icing by starting by whipping the butter alone for one minute, adding the cream cheese and beating both for one or two minutes to obtain a creamy and homogeneous consistency. Gradually add the vanilla, then the icing sugar. Keep cool until assembly.
- For assembly, place the cake on the serving dish, place the first cake disc. Pour a layer of icing and smooth with a spatula. Cover with the second disc and then with a new layer of icing. Place the third disc and cover the entire layer cake with a thin layer of icing and refrigerate for 30 minutes so that it freezes. Then finish the icing on the cake, still using a spatula. Decorate with nuts. Refrigerate until tasting.