A fruity cake for spring: the Cherry cake ! An ultra-soft texture, with whole, melt-in-the-mouth cherries inside. A recipe full of sweetness for dessert or snack... A cake batter very easy to prepare, in a few minutes, so no reason to deprive yourself!
What You'll Love With This Cherry Cake
- flavors : the sweetness of seasonal cherries and the deliciousness of cake with every bite!
- texture : ultra soft with pieces of fondant cherries…
- difficulty level : very easy to prepare, you need a round mold of 20cm. I prefer to take a springform pan for this cherry cake, because it's even easier to unmold.
Details of the recipe ingredients
- flour + ground almonds : we use here a mixture of the two to bring even more softness to the cake.
- dark brown sugar : it is an unrefined, dark-colored sugar that has a slight taste of caramel (perfect in baking). It is easily found in the organic section of the supermarket. I combine it with brown sugar in this recipe (each has its properties).
- fresh cherries : these come from my garden (picked before the birds come to devour them!). At the supermarket or on the market, choose them very ripe, that is to say quite dark, they will be perfect for this cherry cake.
How to pit cherries easily?
To easily pit the cherries, use a sturdy straw or the tip of kitchen scissors (be careful though). With the straw or the point of the chisel we push the stone from the top to the bottom of the cherry: it comes out almost on its own. If necessary, incise the bottom of the cherry so that it comes out even more easily.
How to make a cherry cake?
- On pit the cherries washed and drained
- Mix melted butter, sugar and eggs
- We add the dry ingredients
- Gently fold in the cherries
- We pour the dough in the pan
- Sprinkle with a little sugar
- We bake the cherry cake!
NB: the detailed recipe with quantities of ingredients is given to you at the bottom of the page.
My advice for a successful cherry cake
- use both types of sugar mentioned : they bring a gourmet flavor and a very soft texture to the cake, do not deprive yourself of it!
- do not overmix the cake batter : just the necessary to no longer see flour because the more a dough is mixed, the less it will be soft.
- drain the cherries well before adding them to the batter: this prevents the cherry cake from being soggy and difficult to cook.
How to store your cherry cake?
This cake keeps 3 days at room temperature, it's better to keep all its softness. I place it in an airtight bell jar, away from direct sunlight.
You can also place it in the refrigerator to keep it a little longer but it will become denser in texture.
Other recipes to try
If you like fruit desserts for spring and summer, I advise you to take a look at these other recipes from the blog:
- Strawberry tiramisu
- Easy Red Berry Pavlova
- Crispy white chocolate raspberry bavarois
- Easy peach melba
- Blueberry pie
- Light strawberry mousse
If you make this cherry cake, feel free to rate the recipe below and tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your beautiful homemade cakes!
Very Moist Cherry Cake
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 120 g almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 55 g light brown sugar
- 40 g dark brown sugar in the organic section of the supermarket
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 350 g pitted whole fresh cherries washed and well drained
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175° traditional heat. Grease a 20cm round springform pan.
- Melt the butter in the microwave. In a container, mix the warm melted butter, the brown sugar and the whole cane sugar. Add the eggs and mix again to have a homogeneous texture.
- Separately, mix the dry ingredients: flour, ground almonds, salt, baking powder. Add these dry ingredients to the batter. Do not overmix: just enough so that you no longer see any flour. The batter is thick, that's normal.
- Add the whole pitted cherries (keep a few aside for the top of the cake). Mixing with a spatula is easier.
- Pour this batter into the buttered pan. Smooth. Add the remaining cherries on top of the cake, pressing down very lightly.
- Sprinkle the cake with 1 tbsp of brown sugar and bake for 45 minutes. The duration depends on your oven: use a wooden pick to test for proper cooking.
- Remove from the oven, let cool in the mold for 15 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack or serving platter.