Soft to perfection, these Oatmeal and chocolate cookies are a healthy snack option! A quick recipe to prepare, with simple ingredients. We love their little vanilla taste and their big chocolate chips...
What you'll love about these oatmeal and chocolate cookies
- flavors : chocolate chip cookies as we like them, with a little taste of oatmeal in addition.
- texture : they stay soft thanks to oat flakes and brown sugar.
- difficulty level : very simple to prepare (the children will love it). You just need to allow 1 hour of refrigeration before baking these oatmeal and chocolate cookies, it is necessary for a good final texture.
- oatmeal : for these cookies I only use whole flakes (which can be with or without gluten). This helps add more texture to cookies than chopped flakes.
- sugars : I mix white powdered sugar for a light crispiness and brown sugar for softness. These cookies are relatively low in sugar.
- dark chocolate chips : I take big chocolate chips, you can find them quite easily in the supermarket pastry department. You can also chop your own pastry chocolate into a bar.
How to make oatmeal and chocolate cookies?
- Beat together the butter and sugars then add the egg and vanilla.
- Separately, mix the dry ingredients and add them to the dough.
- Finish with oatmeal and chocolate chips
- Refrigerate to easily mold the oatmeal and chocolate cookie balls.
- We place on a baking sheet, spacing well and bake (2 batches are necessary for the 16 cookies).
My tips for successful oatmeal cookies
- take ingredients at room temperature : it is very important to have a well softened butter and an egg which is not cold to ensure an optimal texture.
- do not overcook : we would tend to want to extend the cooking time but this is a mistake because they also continue to cook on the plate outside the oven.
- to have round cookies : take a mini pastry ring, place it above the cookie and make circles, this will firm up its sides and give it a nice shape.
How to properly store your cookies?
Once made, I advise you to place your oatmeal and chocolate cookies in an airtight box to keep them soft. So they keep about 4-5 days at room temperature.
Other recipes to try
If you like to make homemade cookies, then I advise you to take a look at these other recipes from the blog:
- Double Chocolate Cookies
- Peanut butter and chocolate cookies
- Cookies with coconut oil and chocolate (without butter)
- White chocolate macadamia nut cookies
- Sesame and chocolate cookies
If you make these oatmeal and chocolate cookies, feel free to rate the recipe below and tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your beautiful cookies!
Oatmeal and Chocolate Cookies
- 115 g softened butter
- 65 g light brown sugar
- 80 g white powdered sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 125 g all-purpose flour
- 125 g whole oat flakes
- 0,5 tsp baking soda
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 120 g large dark chocolate chips
- In a container, beat the soft butter, the brown sugar and the white powdered sugar. The mixture should be very creamy. Add egg and vanilla. Beat again.
- Separately, mix the flour, baking soda and salt. Fold into the batter with a spatula, being careful not to over mix (just enough).
- Finish by adding the oat flakes and large chocolate chips (keep 20g of chips for decoration).
- Cover the container and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180° traditional heat. Using an ice cream scoop or your hands, form balls of cookie dough then place them on the baking sheet covered with parchment paper, spacing them well (you will need to make 2 batches of 8 cookies)
- Crush the balls of dough a little then add a few more nuggets on top.
- Bake for about 12 minutes (depending on your oven). The edges should be lightly browned, the center not overcooked. Leave to cool on a plate, they will harden as they cool, while remaining soft in the middle.
- Tip: when they come out of the oven, if your cookies do not have a very round shape, take a mini pastry circle, place it above the cookie and make circles, this will firm up its sides and give it a nice round shape. .