A very gourmet gluten-free recipe for snacking: gluten free cookies with chocolate chips! Simple and quick to make, we love their soft center and their big pieces of chocolate…
Inside these cookies without gluten no wheat flour but a flour mix which allow you to get closer to the original texture of chocolate chip cookies.
What you'll love about these gluten-free cookies
Flavor : good cookies with a nice vanilla flavor, accompanied by pieces of crushed chocolate (or nuggets).
Texture : when they come out of the oven, these cookies are soft inside and slightly crispy on the outside.
Difficulty level : these cookies are very easy to make, in addition you will only need one electric mixer. You can also do them by hand but it will require more stamina!
Ingredients for this cookie recipe
- Sucre : I use a mixture of whole cane sugar (the dark one) and white powdered sugar. They have two very distinct actions: the whole sugar brings a caramelized taste, and a lot of softness, while the white sugar creates a crispy exterior.
- Butter : well-softened unsalted butter. In the absence of unsalted butter, you can take semi-salted by not adding salt in the recipe.
- Egg : we use here a whole egg and an egg yolk. The egg yolk adds softness.
- vanilla : vanilla extract to flavor the cookies.
- Gluten-free flour mix : two options, either you use a "gluten-free" mix found in supermarkets or organic coop. Either we create ourselves this mixture composed of rice flour, corn flour and potato (or corn) starch.
- Baking soda : it is the leavening agent of this recipe. This is essential because gluten-free cookies tend to spread a lot, the baking soda allows them to hold together better.
- Dark chocolate pastry : either coarsely crushed dark chocolate or large chocolate chips. I always have a preference for crushed chocolate, it's so delicious!
- Salt/fleur de sel : it brings out the taste of cookies, it works perfectly with dark chocolate.
NB: all the quantities of ingredients for these gluten-free cookies are specified in my recipe at the bottom of the page.
How to make gluten-free cookies?
- Mix first the wet ingredients: beat the butter and sugar until the mixture thickens, then add the egg, yolk and vanilla.
- Sift the dry ingredients and then add them to the batter.
- To incorporate crushed chocolate.
- Refrigerate 1 hour to get a nice consistency. Model the balls with an ice cream or soup spoon.
- To cook the balls of gluten-free cookies by placing them, well spaced out, on 2 baking sheets.
Tips for perfect cookie success
- chill the dough for 1 hour before shaping the cookie balls: this prevents them from spreading too quickly during baking.
- add the remaining chocolate pieces on top before baking: this allows you to have very melting pieces of chocolate on top of your gluten-free cookies (as in my photos).
How to properly store your gluten-free cookies?
These gluten-free cookies are really delicious right out of the oven! They can then be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container, for about 4-5 days. Beyond that I find that they lose a bit of their flavor.
You can prepare your cookie dough in advance, make balls of cookies and store them in the freezer in an airtight bag for up to 1 month. Allow a little more cooking time on D-Day.
Other gluten-free recipes to try
If you are looking for other gluten-free desserts, then I advise you to take a look at these other recipes from the blog:
- Chocolate pear cake without flour
- Catalan creams
- Gluten-free chocolate cake
- chocolate marquise
- Raspberry banana nice cream
- Eton strawberry mess
- Red berry mascarpone tart
If you make this recipe, don't hesitate to tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your beautiful cookies!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 80 g whole cane sugar
- 40 g white powdered sugar
- 100 g softened butter
- 1 oeuf
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 cc natural vanilla extract
- 110 g rice flour (in organic store)
- 45 g corn flour (in organic store)
- 70 g potato starch or failing that, cornstarch
- 0,5 cc baking soda
- 0,5 cc salt
- 150 g dark crushed pastry chocolate + or – full-bodied according to your tastes
- Fleur de sel
- In a container, beat the softened butter with the whole cane sugar and the white powdered sugar. After 2 minutes, the mixture should become creamy and lighten slightly.
- Incorporate the whole egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract. Beat again to mix well.
- Separately, sift the dry ingredients, whisking them quickly: rice flour, corn flour, starch, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the previous mixture. Add the crushed dark chocolate chips last (keep about 1/3 for decorating the cookies).
- Cover the container and refrigerate for 1 hour: this provides an ideal texture for shaping the cookie balls.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° traditional heat.
- Take a little dough (using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop) and form 16 balls of cookies. Place about 8 balls on the first plate, well spaced out, on baking paper. Then do the same on a second plate.
- Bake the first sheet immediately, for about 14 minutes (this varies according to the ovens and the desired texture at the end: more or less soft). Meanwhile, put the other plate in the refrigerator.
- After baking, leave the first baking sheet to cool on a wire rack and put the second in the oven. Sprinkle with fleur de sel (optional) before serving.
- for convenience, you can use instead of flour/starch a gluten-free flour mix for pastry (you will need the equivalent = 225g): it is now easily found in supermarkets, organic/gluten-free departments or in organic coops.