A Vanilla ice cream homemade with only 5 ingredients! Tasty and unctuous, it is a pleasure to taste in a cone or ramekin. It is very easy to make like a custard, then just put it in an ice cream maker or a turbine and your homemade ice cream will be ready!
What you will like with this recipe
flavors : 100% vanilla! We use a quality vanilla pod to have the maximum taste.
Texture : thanks to its ingredients (and the proliferation in the ice cream maker/turbine) this vanilla ice cream is very creamy, a real pleasure to taste.
5 ingredients only for this homemade vanilla ice cream
- Milk + cream : I make a mixture of whole milk and 30% full fat liquid cream to give the ice cream a very creamy texture.
- Egg yolks : they are used to create the base custard of this ice cream.
- Sugar : it's classic powdered sugar, I put little, to have a result not too sweet.
- Vanilla pod : I take a quality vanilla pod from the pastry department. It should be fleshy and not too dry.
NB: the exact quantities are given to you in my recipe at the bottom of the page.
How to make vanilla ice cream?
- We prepare the custard : whisk the yolks and sugar on one side, heat the milk and cream on the other then pour over the yolks. Then the mixture is again heated to 83°.
- Make way for refroidissement : at least 6 hours in the refrigerator to obtain a very cold mixture.
- We start the machine, turbine or ice cream maker, to create the ice cream: it is what will create the expansion by bringing air into the ice cream to create smoothness for tasting.
Tips for perfectly successful vanilla ice cream
- use a kitchen thermometer so as not to miss the custard: the mixture must not exceed 83° otherwise lumps will form. If so, don't throw it away! Simply pass an immersion blender to recover a smooth appearance.
- when cooling, film the mixture on contact that is to say with a food film that touches the cream. This avoids having a thick film forming on top of the cream.
- Let the mixture rest overnight : the aromas of the vanilla beans and the pod will develop even more, it is the assurance of a very tasty ice cream.
How to properly store this vanilla ice cream?
To avoid the formation of crystals above your vanilla ice cream, I advise you to store it well in a hermetically sealed container in the freezer (not in the freezer). It keeps like this up to 2 weeks.
Other recipes to try
If you like to make homemade ice cream and sorbets, then I advise you to take a look at these other recipes from the blog:
- Raspberry banana nice cream
- Perfect iced raspberry nougat
- Easy chocolate ice cream without an ice cream maker
- Oreo vanilla ice cream
- Yoghurt ice cream and raspberry compote
Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream
- 350 g whole milk
- 150 g heavy whipping cream 30%
- 4 egg yolks
- 90 g granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla pod of good quality
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture thickens.
- In a saucepan, pour the milk and cream. Split the vanilla pod in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds well with the knife. Add the seeds to the pan with the pod. Heat over low heat.
- Pour half of the hot milk over the yolks while whisking vigorously: this avoids cooking the yolks. Then add the rest of the milk.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mixture reaches 83° (with a kitchen thermometer). The mixture should coat the spoon.
- Pour into a container, with the vanilla pod, and let cool. Place a cling film in contact with the mixture. (To speed up the cooling, the container can be placed on a bowl with ice and cold water.)
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours: this allows the aromas to develop well.
- Turn on the ice cream maker or ice cream maker (according to the manufacturer's instructions). Remove the vanilla pod and pour the mixture into the machine. Turbine about 30 minutes until the ice cream forms and is creamy.
- Place in a closed container and put in the freezer for about 1 hour to be able to make balls. NB: If the ice cream is left in the freezer for several days, it will need to be placed in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to soften it a little (without it melting).