This recipe from Chocolate crinkles, soft cracked cupcakes, are sure to please you! We love their unique texture, with a melting heart, and their beautiful white and black contrast on the outside.
These are just the kind of cookies we bake as Christmas approaches (but not only). We can of course eat crinkles chocolate all year round! This is a recipe that will speak, I am sure, to all chocolate lovers ...
What are chocolate crinkles?
These are cupcakes very soft with cocoa covered with a thin layer of icing sugar which cracks slightly during cooking. The contrast of colors is particularly marked: this is what gives them all their charm!
The recipe for Crinkles comes from the United States, where they are still very popular. So they are half cookies (by their appearance and their method of preparation) half cake (for their texture and taste). It is as soft as you want, and even tender if you do not exceed 10 minutes of cooking. Like snow covered with their icing sugar, they are rich in cocoa and very comforting.
How to make crinkles?
First, mix the dry ingredients on one side, the wet ingredients on the other. Then the dry ingredients are incorporated several times in the wet ingredients.
At this point it is important to do rest the dough in the refrigerator several hours (all night is ideal). This allows you to shape the balls for baking.
Using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop, form small balls which are then rolled in icing sugar. The more icing sugar, the more result will be contrasted, the more the cracked side will be visible. So do not have a light hand on this step: the visual rendering will not be optimal otherwise!
Last step, we put the crinkles in the oven, then let them cool on a plate before finishing the cooling on a rack.
How to store crinkles?
These crinkles are easily stored at room temperature, in an airtight box for about 4 days. They keep a little longer if you put them in the refrigerator.
For the end of the year celebrations, you can also offer them as a gourmet gift to your loved ones. Besides being good, crinkles are also very pretty with their white coating.
Other recipes to try
If you are looking for sweets to make for the end of the year (or to give as a gift) like these crinkles, then I recommend these recipes as well:
- Cinnamon Christmas cookies with icing
- Chocolate Christmas cookies with icing
- Dark chocolate and white chocolate fudges
- Chocolate truffles
If you make this recipe, don't hesitate to tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your pretty crinkles!
Chocolate Crinkles, The Crackle Cakes Recipe
- 195 g all-purpose flour
- 70 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 250 g light brown sugar
- 1,5 cc baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 90 ml Colza oil or other oil
- 3 cc natural vanilla extract
- 0,75 this salt
- + icing sugar for decoration
- Mix the dry ingredients in a container: flour, yeast, cocoa, salt.
- Separately, mix brown sugar, oil and vanilla. Add the eggs one by one, mixing between each.
- Gradually pour the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients three times.
- Put the container in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 5 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 175 ° traditional heat.
- Using a tablespoon, take portions of dough then quickly form balls with your hands (it sticks but it's normal), then roll in icing sugar to coat each ball.
- Then place them (spacing them well) on a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes (the edges should hold together, the center should be soft).
- Then leave to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then place on a grid.
Keeps for several days in an airtight box.