Devilishly chocolatey inside and out: the Devil's food cake ou devil cake has everything to please! Very soft garnished with a very smooth ganache, impossible to resist ...
Personally, it's my favorite chocolate cake (or it's at least in my top 3 with the Moist chocolate vegan fleur de sel ganache and Double chocolate brownie !). It is also this devil's cake that I decided to prepare for my birthday recently. The ideal chocolate cake when I want to treat myself, so much he is greedy (and light at the same time).
What is Devil's food cake?
It is a dark, chocolate cake that comes from the United States. It is in fact the exact opposite ofAngel food cake who is he all white! It consists of several floors of soft cocoa cake, and lined inside and outside a creamy chocolate ganache.
It's a chocolate cake really light and soft. Originally, the ganache consists only of dark chocolate, but for my part, I mix milk chocolate and dark chocolate pastry chef for the ganache. This is how I prefer to taste it. I find the flavors to be more balanced.
How to make a Devil's food cake?
I advise you to realize it in two times (why not start the day before for example). We can start by making the chocolate cake which will have time to cool well.
To make the cake, we whip the butter and sugar, then add the cocoa milk mixture. We end with the eggs. On the other hand, we sift the dry ingredients and then add them little by little to the dough. We then pour it into 2 buttered and floured molds and put it in the oven! It will suffice to let cool before unmolding on the rack. If you continue the recipe the next day, you can wrap them in cling film and keep them at room temperature.
To make the ganache cake (very simply), we melt in a bain-marie the two types of chocolate, butter and cream. Let cool until the ganache takes on the consistency of a spread. For assembly, all you have to do is garnish the first cake with ganache and then glue the second cake before filling the entire cake with ganache.
To the decor it's also child's play: have fun dressing it with ganache as you wish (smooth, with waves, etc.). I use a long spatula for it.
Other recipes to try
If you like this kind of gourmet cakes, I invite you to take a look at these recipes from the blog: the Soft chocolate brownie, Soft chocolate muffins, Crinkles Chocolate Cracked Cupcakes, Chocolate pear cake without flour, Chocolate hazelnut cake.
If you make this recipe, don't hesitate to tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your cute cakes!
Devil's food cake - Devil's cake
- 185 g soft butter
- 190 g brown sugar
- 75 g bitter cocoa powder
- 330 ml of milk (vegetable milk option possible)
- 3 eggs
- 220 g flour with incorporated yeast (Francine type)
- 1,5 cc baking powder
- 0,5 cc salt
Milk chocolate and dark chocolate ganache
- 200 g dark chocolate pastry
- 130 g milk chocolate pastry
- 40 g soft butter
- 330 ml whole liquid cream 30% mg
- Chocolate cake: preheat the oven to 180 ° traditional heat. Prepare 2 molds of diameter 20cm by buttering them and flouring them.
- Whisk the soft butter with the powdered sugar until you get a creamy consistency. In another container, mix the cocoa with the milk and incorporate into the previous mixture.
- Then add the eggs, one at a time. Separately, mix the dry ingredients, sift them over the chocolate preparation and mix well.
- Divide the dough into your two molds then bake for 25 minutes (test for doneness with a wooden pick). Let cool in the molds then unmold on a grid and wait for complete cooling before assembly.
- Chocolate icing: in a double boiler, melt the two chocolates, the butter and the cream. Mix with a spatula until a very smooth ganache is obtained. Let cool to room temperature, stirring regularly (you can place in the refrigerator to speed up a bit).
- Assembly: when the ganache has a spreadable texture, distribute a little less than half of the icing on the first cake. Place the second cake and pour in the rest of the frosting. Smooth the sides and top of the cake with a spatula (or decorate according to your wishes).