A recipe for very gourmet cookies to make at home: the Shortbread with jam ! We love their texture, both melting and crunchy, and their pretty heart of jam… Very easy to prepare, I will give you all the details below.
For Christmas and the rest of the year, we love to bake homemade cookies, right? The great thing about these jam shortbread cookies is that they keep for a long time in an airtight box. They also serve as pretty gourmet gifts for the holidays ...
Ingredients to plan for these shortbread
We find inside the classic ingredients of a dry cookie. These have a nice buttery taste, and also a touch of almond. In short, everything we love! I used brown sugar in the dough for the sweet scent it brings to the dough.
To prepare these shortbread cookies with jam, you will need: soft butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract, flour, almond powder, jam and a veil of icing sugar. For the jam, I opted for raspberry : I like its tangy and slightly sweet side.
How to make jam shortbread?
First step, we beat the butter and sugar then we add the egg, vanilla and salt. Then incorporate the dry ingredients: flour and ground almonds. The dough will keep a certain humidity and this is normal, it must be refrigerated at least 1 hour (or more) before use.
NB: I give you the quantities of ingredients in the recipe at the bottom of this article.
To create the cookies, roll out the dough on the work surface. Then with a round cookie cutter or a small glass, we form cookies that are placed on a baking sheet. On half of the cookies, we dig the heart with a small cookie cutter for the center and we put in the oven.
After cooling, place to decor ! Place jam on the round shortbread, then add the hollowed-out shortbread sprinkled with icing sugar on top.
Tips for successful jam shortbread cookies
- Time to refroidissement dough is really mandatory. These are shortbread cookies and if you want them to be cut with a cookie cutter and keep their pretty shape, you need a little patience ...
- To roll out the dough easily, without it sticking, we place it between two sheets of baking paper, very convenient !
- When putting jam, leave a small unfilled space around to avoid any overflow during assembly.
How to store these shortbread cookies properly?
These jam shortbreads keep very well. About a week at room temperature in an airtight container: if you manage not to devour them by then of course!
You can also offer them during the holidays, in a bag or in a small cardboard box: a homemade (and delicious) gift that is sure to please ...
Other recipes to try
If you like homemade cookies, I also advise you to take a look at these other recipes from the blog:
- Cinnamon Christmas Cookies
- Chocolate Christmas cookies with icing
- Small cookies decorated with royal icing
- White chocolate macadamia nut cookies
- Rustic chocolate pecan cookies
If you make this recipe, don't hesitate to tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your pretty jam shortbread!
Jam Shortbread (Easy and Gourmet)
- 220 g softened butter
- 130 g Light brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 0,5 cc salt
- 1 cc natural vanilla extract
- 345 g flour
- 100 g almond powder
- 180 g jam of your choice raspberry for me
- Sucre glace to sprinkle
- Beat the butter alone so that it becomes very creamy. Then add the brown sugar and beat again for a few minutes. Then add the egg, salt and vanilla and mix.
- Separately, mix together the flour and ground almonds then pour into the dough. Mix to incorporate everything. At this stage the dough is wet and this is normal. Form a slightly flat dough and wrap it in cling film. Refrigerate at least 1 hour (up to 2 days maximum).
- Preheat the oven to 175 ° traditional heat. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Between two sheets of baking paper, roll out the dough with a rolling pin to obtain a dough height of approximately 0,5cm. With your cookie cutter (mine is 6cm), make as many cookies as possible. On half of them, make a hole in the middle with a smaller cookie cutter (of a different shape).
- Arrange the cookies on a baking sheet, spacing them out, then bake for about 10-13 minutes, depending on their size. They should not be too golden, and keep a light color. Out of the oven, let cool on a baking sheet then transfer to a rack until completely cooled.
- Garnish whole cookies with jam. Sprinkle those with a hole with icing sugar then place them on the jam part, pressing lightly.