A pretty cake to share for all occasions: the Strawberry layer cake! Inside, a very moist vanilla cake, strawberry compote and a light mascarpone whipped cream icing decorated with fresh strawberries.
This vanilla strawberry layer cake is offered here naked cake style, that is to say "naked cake", because it is only topped with a thin layer of icing. We can also see the different cake discs through.
An ideal recipe for sunny days! A dessert for small and big occasions, and think again, it's not that complicated to make...
What you will love with this strawberry layer cake recipe
flavors : vanilla in the cake, and strawberries of course in the compote and also as decoration.
Textures : the cake is very moist, the fruit compote and the mascarpone icing are very creamy…
Difficulty level : the outside of this vanilla strawberry layer cake doesn't have to be perfect, so it's easier. Feel free to get started ! Below I give you the maximum of advice to succeed at home.
Choose the right ingredients
- strawberries : I recommend gariguette strawberries for this recipe, quite simply because they are the best in terms of taste, they are beautiful as decoration too! You need it to create the compote and for the decoration on the vanilla strawberry layer cake.
- Butter : I always use unsalted butter, it must be well softened.
- sucre : I take brown sugar because its taste highlights the vanilla.
- fermented milk : this is the key to the softness of the cake! In stores, look for buttermilk. If you can't find it, make it homemade by mixing whole milk with 1,5 tbsp of lemon juice. Let stand 15 minutes before using. I give you my tips in my article on homemade fermented milk.
The main steps of the recipe
- Make the strawberry compote : I advise you to make it in advance, because it must be cold to be used in the layer cake. Mix the strawberries and cook the coulis with the cornstarch, to obtain a nice compote.
- Prepare the cake : you can also do it in advance. This cake is baked in 2 molds of 20cm, we then cut the two cakes in their height to have 4 identical discs.
- Make the mascarpone frosting : on D-Day we prepare this icing by whipping the ingredients into whipped cream. The advantage of this icing is its lightness and smoothness.
- Assemble the strawberry layer cake : time for assembly! Top each cake disc with frosting and compote, placing them on top of each other. Finish with a thin layer of outer icing and you're done...
My tips for a successful strawberry layer cake
- put cake ingredients at room temperature 1 hour before: eggs, fermented milk, butter must be at temperature so that the final cake is very soft.
- to slicing cake discs equal in height, take a very long knife, it makes the maneuver easier. The best is to have a cake stand, but you can do without it if you have a very long knife.
- for decorating the strawberry layer cake, put your serving dish on a turntable, this allows you to have a cleaner result by decorating with a spatula (and to go faster too).
Possible variations for this layer cake
You can replace the strawberries in this layer cake with other red fruits : raspberries, blueberries, blackberries for example. The principle remains the same for compote (see recipe below).
Other recipes to try
If you like to make layer cakes, I advise you to take a look at these other recipes on the blog, which could inspire you:
- Layer cake blueberries lemon
- Oreo layer cake version
- Raspberry coconut layer cake
- Layer cake vertical strawberry almond
- Carrot cake, the carrot and spice cake
- Layer cake gingerbread
- Raffaello layer cake version
If you make this recipe, don't hesitate to tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your beautiful strawberry layer cake!
Strawberry Vanilla Layer Cake, Chantilly Mascarpone
- 480 g flour
- 2 cc baking powder
- 1 cc baking soda
- 1 cc salt
- 325 g softened butter
- 280 g Light brown sugar
- 5 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cs natural vanilla extract
- 400 g fermented milk (milk buttermilk) at room temperature make it homemade by mixing whole milk with 1,5 tbsp of lemon juice. Leave to rest for 15 mins. before using it.
- 400 g gariguette strawberries
- 40 g Granulated sugar
- 3 cs cornstarch
- 1 to 2 cs water
- 400 g mascarpone cheese
- 350 g whole liquid cream 30% mg
- 60 g icing sugar
- 250 g gariguette strawberries
- Wash, hull and blend the strawberries. Pour the coulis into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch with the water then add to the coulis. Return to heat for 3-5 minutes for the mixture to thicken. It will finish thickening as it cools. Keep refridgerated. For the assembly, put this compote in a piping bag.
- Preheat the oven to 175° traditional heat. Grease and flour two 20cm diameter molds. Line the bottom with a round of baking paper for easy unmolding.
- Beat the soft butter and the brown sugar until it is very creamy (about 4 minutes). Add the eggs 1 by 1, beating each one, then the vanilla.
- Separately, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add these dry ingredients to the batter alternately with the fermented milk. Do not over mix: just the necessary.
- Divide the batter in two and pour into each of the moulds. Bake for 45 minutes of cooking. Test with a wooden pick: it should come out dry with a few crumbs.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the mold then unmold on a wire rack. Leave to cool completely before cutting each cake in half lengthwise, to have 4 discs.
- Whip the cream and icing sugar into whipped cream. Add the mascarpone and whisk again to obtain a smooth and creamy glaze. Fill a piping bag with this icing and keep cool.
Assembly of the layer cake
- Place the first disc of cake on the serving platter (ideally placed on a turntable, easier to decorate).
- With the piping bag, fill the first disc of cake with icing. Add strawberry compote in the center in a large circle (avoid the edges). Add the second disc of cake on top and start to garnish again (frosting / compote) then place the third disc, garnish again and finally put the last disc.
- Place an additional layer of frosting on top of the cake and add a little around the edges. With a long spatula, scrape the icing on the edges to smooth everything. Smooth the top too. Add fresh strawberries on top.
- Keep in the refrigerator for about 2 hours (it will be easier to cut later).