That's it ! We are almost there ! Only a few days before Christmas… The ideal period to perfume the house with a sweet smell of spices, as with this Layer cake gingerbread & cinnamon icing. Well, you know by dint of seeing my recipes, I am an unconditional fan of spices in desserts (cinnamon, cardamom, ginger…), and this cake is no exception!
I wanted it to be smooth, ultra-comforting, with a sweet spicy scent just right. And with its very creamy mascarpone-cream cheese icing flavored with cinnamon, I have a hard time stopping at just one part, I admit… Especially when you enjoy it with a good Christmas tea by the fireplace!
For the realization, nothing too rocket science, a cake (baked in several molds) and icing. The assembly is rather simple since I preferred it “naked”, that is to say without an additional layer of icing on the sides.
Other recipes to try
If you like to make homemade Christmas treats, then I advise you to take a look at these other recipes from the blog:
- Chestnut cream chocolate tiramisu log
- Vanilla caramel pecan nut log
- Cinnamon Christmas cookies with icing
- Chocolate Christmas cookies with icing
- Chocolate crinkles, the recipe for cracked cupcakes
If you make this recipe, don't hesitate to tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your beautiful layer cakes!
Layer cake gingerbread cinnamon icing
- 200 g soft butter at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 250 g Light brown sugar
- 385 g flour
- 1,5 cc baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cc cardamom
- 1/2 tsp 4 spice mixture
- 1 cc natural vanilla extract
- 240 ml milk at room temperature
- 350 g mascarpone cheese
- 150 g philadelphia nature
- 20 cl whole liquid cream 30% mg
- 150 g icing sugar
- 1/2 cc natural vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon or more according to your taste
- Preheat the oven to 170 ° traditional heat. Whisk together the butter and sugar to obtain a creamy and light consistency. Add the eggs 1 to 1, mixing between each then the vanilla.
- In another container, sift the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices. Add these dry ingredients several times to the previous mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Butter and flour 4 molds 15cm in diameter (or 2 molds, you will then cut the cakes in half vertically to have the 4 slices). Pour the dough into the molds and bake for about 35 minutes - to adapt according to your oven, test the cooking using a wooden pick. Let cool on the rack and unmold. If necessary, cut the domes of each cake to have very flat levels.
- For the icing, whisk together the liquid cream, mascarpone and Philadelphia and icing sugar to obtain a creamy icing. Add the vanilla and cinnamon, whisk one last time before filling a pastry bag.
- For assembly: place the first slice of cake on the serving dish, "sticking" it with a knob of icing. Garnish with a layer of icing then place the second slice and so on until the last slice. Cover the entire cake with a thin layer of frosting (you should see the slices through). Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Continue decorating on top with a pastry bag.
PS: do not wait too long to eat it otherwise it will lose its softness ...