A fragrant and ultra-soft recipe: the Orange cake ! Tasty and really very simple to prepare, it is soft and comforting. Orange zest and freshly squeezed orange juice give the dough a light and delicate taste...
What you will like with this orange cake
- Flavor : the sweetness of orange in every bite! It is a very comforting cake for dessert, a snack break or even for breakfast.
- Texture : this orange cake is really very soft, you'll see. Orange frosting (optional) hardens slightly as it cools.
- Difficulty level : it is very simple to prepare, with a hand mixer Or your pastry robot for even more convenience.
- Oranges : for this recipe, I use organic oranges because we need to recover some zest. I took the Naveline variety but all varieties work.
- Eggs : take large caliber eggs (it is specified on their box) to have enough volume in the dough.
- Liquid cream : I take whole liquid cream at 30% mg to provide more softness.
How to make an orange cake?
- Beat the butter and sugar for several minutes
- Sieve the dry ingredients separately
- We mix the liquid ingredients on the other hand
- Then we add the dry and liquid ingredients alternately in the dough
- Bake and then let cool
- We prepare the orange icing then spoon it over the orange cake
My advice for a successful cake
- Place all your ingredients at room temperature 1 hour before to make this orange cake: including the eggs and the cream. This allows the dough to avoid a temperature shock, and to have an optimal texture.
- Do not overmix the batter once the flour has been added as this will harden the texture of the orange cake in the end.
- Do not over bake the cake so that it keeps all its softness: the wooden pick must come out with a few crumbs.
How to store your orange cake?
This orange cake is best kept at room temperature about 2 days (it's better to keep all its softness) or up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
It can also be frozen without its icing: it is wrapped already sliced in a film then placed in an airtight container. All you have to do is reheat the slices as needed!
Other recipes to try
If you like easy cake recipes to make at home, then take a look at these other recipes from the blog:
- Very moist lemon poppy seed cake
- Chocolate chip clementine cake
- Coconut cake and coconut icing
- Pear chocolate cake with chocolate ganache
- Fondant cake peach raspberry tonka bean
If you make this orange cake, don't hesitate to rate the recipe below and tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your pretty cakes!
Very Moist Orange Cake
- 170 g softened butter
- 170 g classic powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 190 g flour
- 0,5 cc salt
- 1,5 cc baking powder
- 1 cs heaped with organic orange zest
- 3 cs freshly squeezed orange juice
- 115 g whole liquid cream 30% mg at room temperature
- 0,75 cc natural vanilla extract
Orange glaze (optional)
- 100 g icing sugar
- 2 cc whole liquid cream 30% mg
- 2-3 cs freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 175° traditional heat. Grease a 27x10cm cake tin. Line it with a sheet of baking paper to facilitate unmolding.
- In a food processor or hand mixer, beat the softened butter and powdered sugar until the mixture is creamy, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing between each and scraping the edges.
- In a bowl, sift the dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking powder.
- In another container, mix the single cream, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the liquid mixture. Finish with the dry ingredients (mix just enough, without overdoing it).
- Pour the batter into the mold and bake for about 1 hour (depending on your oven). Test for doneness with a wooden pick that should come out clean or with a few crumbs.
- Leave to cool in the mold for 15 minutes, then unmold on a wire rack. Then let cool completely.
- In a bowl, mix the icing sugar, cream, orange juice and orange zest until smooth. If it's too thick, add orange juice, if it's too runny, add icing sugar.
- With a spoon, coat the icing on the cooled cake by making zigzags.
How you tempt me with this orange cake!!!
Thank you Lady! Yes it's the season :)
Super good and so easy to make! Thank you for this recipe :)
Thanks Eve for your feedback! Goodbye :)
A true delight ! By following the recipe step by step, the cake is to die for! Moist as desired, with a taste of orange but not too sweet (I reduced the quantities because I had no more sugar), it's a real success!
Thank you for this recipe !
Thanks Caroline! Goodbye :)
This cake is marvellous: fluffy with a soft and melting texture, the orange is subtle and tasty.
We all loved it! Thank you for this lovely recipe!
With pleasure ! Thank you for your feedback Finou :)
What is the difference with lemon cake in terms of texture?
I noticed that the proportions at the level of the ingredients were different.
Beautiful day :)
Hello Marjorie, on the lemon we were on something acidic, it had to be counterbalanced in a certain way so that it rises correctly and is soft. Here it's orange so it's different. What I can tell you is that the two cakes are very soft! Goodbye :)
This cake recipe is excellent. I got compliments from all my
family. Your explanations are really well detailed which facilitates the work
budding pastry chefs. The pear chocolate charlotte that I also made for two
times has made my children and grandchildren happy.
Congratulations on your site, which is so pleasant to browse, and on your recipes.
Thank you very much Françoise for your little word and your loyalty! I hope you will like the next recipes just as much :)