A comforting recipe as we like them with this Rustic apple pie and coconut caramel. When I asked you yesterday on Instagram, what were the recipes that you wanted to see these next days / weeks, you answered me simple recipes, to make with ingredients that can be easily obtained!
What is good about this Rustic apple pieis that it can also be an activity to do with your children. The hazelnut shortbread dough first with a little rest, then the coconut milk caramel, then the apple cut ...
What steps to make this Rustic Apple Pie?
I advise you to do as I did, to start by making the shortbread pastry with hazelnuts. If you don't have hazelnut powder, the almond powder works great too! While the dough has rested in the refrigerator, you can make the coconut milk caramel in your saucepan. Besides, if you don't have coconut milk, you can make a classic salted butter caramel.
This coconut caramel is a recent discovery for me, just 2 ingredients (coconut milk and sugar). They simmer in a saucepan to create a coconut-flavored caramel. Besides, it reminds me a little of the principle of milk jam, except that here it is without milk (vegan).
For apples, take the ones you like the most except the green ones (Granny Smith) because they are too acidic. For my pie, I took Chantecerc yellow apples, because they are delicious cooked and already naturally sweet. Have fun arranging them on the pie shell to create a nice pattern!
This Rustic apple pie and coconut caramel can be enjoyed warm or cold, by coating it with a little caramel sauce (this one or a salted butter caramel, or even a spoonful of whipped cream ...
If you make this recipe, don't hesitate to tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your cute pies!
Rustic apple pie with coconut caramel
- 250 g Spelt flour failing that, wheat flour
- 40 g hazelnut powder failing that, almonds
- 85 g Light brown sugar
- 175 g softened butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 oeuf
- 3 or 4 apples rather sweet variety
- 4 tbsp applesauce
- 1 beaten egg yolk
- 200 ml coconut milk small can
- 40 g coconut sugar failing that, whole sugar or brown sugar
- Fleur de sel
- To make the hazelnut shortbread dough: mix the soft butter and sugar in a container to obtain a creamy texture. Add the ground hazelnuts and salt. Incorporate the lightly beaten egg then the flour in several batches. Knead just enough. Form a ball and film. Put 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- To make the coconut milk caramel: in the coconut can, take only the solid part and place in a saucepan. Heat a little then add the sugar, continue on low heat for about 15 minutes, the amber color should appear. Before finishing cooking, add a touch of fleur de sel.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ° traditional heat. Roll out the dough to form a round about 35cm in diameter. The edges are irregular and this is what will give all its charm to your pie. Wash, halve the apples and core them. Slice the apples fairly thinly. Place the compote on the tart, making sure to leave 5cm of space all around for the folding afterwards. Then place the apples on the compote. Fold the edges of the tart on itself, then brush with egg yolk. Sprinkle with a little coconut sugar (or other sugar) and bake for 30 minutes (it should be golden brown). Before tasting, cover with coconut caramel.