A pretty cake to share for all occasions: the Strawberry layer cake! Inside, a very moist vanilla cake, strawberry compote and a light mascarpone whipped cream icing decorated with fresh strawberries.
This vanilla strawberry layer cake is offered here naked cake style, that is to say "naked cake", because it is only topped with a thin layer of icing. We can also see the different cake discs through.
An ideal recipe for sunny days! A dessert for small and big occasions, and think again, it's not that complicated to make...
What you will love with this strawberry layer cake recipe
flavors : vanilla in the cake, and strawberries of course in the compote and also as decoration.
Textures : the cake is very moist, the fruit compote and the mascarpone icing are very creamy…
Difficulty level : the outside of this vanilla strawberry layer cake doesn't have to be perfect, so it's easier. Feel free to get started ! Below I give you the maximum of advice to succeed at home.
Choose the right ingredients
- strawberries : I recommend gariguette strawberries for this recipe, quite simply because they are the best in terms of taste, they are beautiful as decoration too! You need it to create the compote and for the decoration on the vanilla strawberry layer cake.
- Butter : I always use unsalted butter, it must be well softened.
- sucre : I take brown sugar because its taste highlights the vanilla.
- fermented milk : this is the key to the softness of the cake! In stores, look for buttermilk. If you can't find it, make it homemade by mixing whole milk with 1,5 tbsp of lemon juice. Let stand 15 minutes before using. I give you my tips in my article on homemade fermented milk.
The main steps of the recipe
- Make the strawberry compote : I advise you to make it in advance, because it must be cold to be used in the layer cake. Mix the strawberries and cook the coulis with the cornstarch, to obtain a nice compote.
- Prepare the cake : you can also do it in advance. This cake is baked in 2 molds of 20cm, we then cut the two cakes in their height to have 4 identical discs.
- Make the mascarpone frosting : on D-Day we prepare this icing by whipping the ingredients into whipped cream. The advantage of this icing is its lightness and smoothness.
- Assemble the strawberry layer cake : time for assembly! Top each cake disc with frosting and compote, placing them on top of each other. Finish with a thin layer of outer icing and you're done...
My tips for a successful strawberry layer cake
- put cake ingredients at room temperature 1 hour before: eggs, fermented milk, butter must be at temperature so that the final cake is very soft.
- for slicing cake discs equal in height, take a very long knife, it makes the maneuver easier. The best is to have a cake stand, but you can do without it if you have a very long knife.
- for decorating the strawberry layer cake, put your serving dish on a turntable, this allows you to have a cleaner result by decorating with a spatula (and to go faster too).
Possible variations for this layer cake
You can replace the strawberries in this layer cake with other red fruits : raspberries, blueberries, blackberries for example. The principle remains the same for compote (see recipe below).
Other recipes to try
If you like to make layer cakes, I advise you to take a look at these other recipes on the blog, which could inspire you:
- Layer cake blueberries lemon
- Oreo layer cake version
- Raspberry coconut layer cake
- Layer cake vertical strawberry almond
- Carrot cake, the carrot and spice cake
- Layer cake gingerbread
- Raffaello layer cake version
If you make this recipe, don't hesitate to tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your beautiful strawberry layer cake!
Strawberry Vanilla Layer Cake, Chantilly Mascarpone
- 480 g flour
- 2 cc baking powder
- 1 cc baking soda
- 1 cc salt
- 325 g softened butter
- 280 g Light brown sugar
- 5 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cs natural vanilla extract
- 400 g fermented milk (milk buttermilk) at room temperature make it homemade by mixing whole milk with 1,5 tbsp of lemon juice. Leave to rest for 15 mins. before using it.
- 400 g gariguette strawberries
- 40 g Granulated sugar
- 3 cs cornstarch
- 1 to 2 cs water
- 400 g mascarpone cheese
- 350 g whole liquid cream 30% mg
- 60 g icing sugar
- 250 g gariguette strawberries
- Wash, hull and blend the strawberries. Pour the coulis into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch with the water then add to the coulis. Return to heat for 3-5 minutes for the mixture to thicken. It will finish thickening as it cools. Keep refridgerated. For the assembly, put this compote in a piping bag.
- Preheat the oven to 175° traditional heat. Grease and flour two 20cm diameter molds. Line the bottom with a round of baking paper for easy unmolding.
- Beat the soft butter and the brown sugar until it is very creamy (about 4 minutes). Add the eggs 1 by 1, beating each one, then the vanilla.
- Separately, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add these dry ingredients to the batter alternately with the fermented milk. Do not over mix: just the necessary.
- Divide the batter in two and pour into each of the moulds. Bake for 45 minutes of cooking. Test with a wooden pick: it should come out dry with a few crumbs.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the mold then unmold on a wire rack. Leave to cool completely before cutting each cake in half lengthwise, to have 4 discs.
- Whip the cream and icing sugar into whipped cream. Add the mascarpone and whisk again to obtain a smooth and creamy glaze. Fill a piping bag with this icing and keep cool.
Assembly of the layer cake
- Place the first disc of cake on the serving platter (ideally placed on a turntable, easier to decorate).
- With the piping bag, fill the first disc of cake with icing. Add strawberry compote in the center in a large circle (avoid the edges). Add the second disc of cake on top and start to garnish again (frosting / compote) then place the third disc, garnish again and finally put the last disc.
- Place an additional layer of frosting on top of the cake and add a little around the edges. With a long spatula, scrape the icing on the edges to smooth everything. Smooth the top too. Add fresh strawberries on top.
- Keep in the refrigerator for about 2 hours (it will be easier to cut later).
I would like to make a layer cake on 3 floors (1st time such a big piece). I wonder if with this biscuit and whipped cream, you think that the 3 layers can hold or if I should rather go with a more "dense" white chocolate whipped ganache? and if the biscuit is also suitable for layering 3 layers?
Thank you very much for your advice.
Hello Audrey, if you don't often make layer cakes, I advise you to follow a complete recipe from A to Z without making any changes. Cake densities, cream densities, heights etc. I calculate them to work together. This is the case for my recipe. It is better to follow the instructions to the letter otherwise the result will not be mine. Goodbye :)
Do you think we can make several layers of this superimposed cake? to have a layer cake with more parts. my fear is that it slips or sags or...
Hello Audrey, already 4 levels high is a lot! A layer cake is cut into thin slices because it is high. If you want to make it bigger you choose two larger molds and you increase your quantities. Goodbye :)
Can I make this cake the night before?
Thank you in advance.
Hello Charlène, yes this cake can be prepared the day before. See you soon ;)
For the whipped cream, you say to whip the cream with the icing sugar, do we put both at the same time in the robot? I can never make whipped cream and this step stresses me out a bit. Can I have more explanation please? Thanks in advance.
Hello Cindy, to make the best whipped cream you need very cold cream. You start to whip a little then you add the icing sugar in rain while continuing to whip (hand mixer or robot). The whipped cream will form little by little. See you soon :)
In order to "refresh" and give the cake a little more chewiness, is it possible to put a brunoise of strawberries on the compote between each layer?
I thank you in advance for your answer and wish you a pleasant day.
Looking forward to discovering new recipes, each as tasty as the next.
Hello Manon, yes it is quite possible: you can add small pieces of fresh strawberries between the layers on the compote. See you soon ;)
Thank you for this recipe, I will try it for my son's birthday cake.
I was wondering if it is necessary to soak the cake? Won't be a little dry?
Thank you for your reply.
Hello Neslihan, this cake remains very soft (I don't need to soak it) the strawberry compote between each cake prevents it from being dry. Goodbye :)
Is it possible to bake all the dough in a single dome-shaped mold to make a princess cake?
Hello Cindy, to make a princess cake I have a specific recipe: https://liliebakery.fr/gateau-princesse-vanille-chocolat/
This recipe looks pretty affordable. So I'm considering it for my daughter's three-year-old.
I just wanted to know, what is the baking soda for? Can I make the recipe without adding any?
& If I bake in a 26 cm mould, do I necessarily have to change the quantities of ingredients in the cake?
Thanks in advance :)
Hello Amélie, baking soda is a leavening agent, it is essential in this recipe (you can find it in the salt section of the supermarket). If you want a layer cake like mine, you have to respect the size of the mold and the quantity of ingredients given. I do not advise you to make a layer cake of 26cm in diameter, it would be too huge. If you do it as a flat cake, it wouldn't be the same result at all, so it's up to you... See you soon
Can the cream be flavored with chocolate (unsweetened cocoa)?
If so, could you please tell me how? And the proportion of cocoa?
Thank you very much
Hello Jacinthe, I do not recommend this method, however you can make a chocolate ganache instead of the mascarpone whipped cream. For example, you can take the chocolate ganache recipe from this other recipe: https://liliebakery.fr/gateau-noisette-chocolat/
Your blog is great, it makes you want to cook…… your pastries are wonderful…..
For this one is it possible to do it not naked, fully covered?
If so could you tell me how to do it, without wasting too much time please.
I thank you in advance.
Hello Elodie, you have to increase the quantities of mascarpone whipped cream icing in this case. Once all the layers are assembled, you continue by adding cream on the sides and the top, smoothing well with a large flat spatula, enough not to see the cakes through. Goodbye :)
Hello, what is the difference between fermented milk and classic milk for the cake? I'm afraid to miss this step
Hello Yéléna, fermented milk brings a lot of softness to cakes. You can do it very easily yourself, I did an article on homemade fermented milk: https://liliebakery.fr/recette-babeurre-lait-fermente/
Is it possible to make this cake with mounting the old one?
Thank you for your answers
Hello Laetitia, yes absolutely, you keep it in the refrigerator then under a bell to protect it from the smells of the fridge (the cream may take on a taste otherwise). Goodbye :)
Hello, I would love to make this cake, it looks divine…! To make the strawberry compote can I use frozen strawberries or other frozen fruits?? Thanks
Hello Marion, yes it is quite possible! They may release a little more water as they thaw, so you may need to cook the compote a little longer. Goodbye :)
I would love to try your recipe!☺️
Small question: is it possible to freeze the vanilla biscuit? It would allow me to do it in advance
Hello Aurélie, yes it is quite possible. It must be well wrapped in a film then put it in a closed container to prevent it from taking on the humidity of the freezer. Goodbye :)
I would have liked to know if it was possible to put almond powder in the chiffon cake and if so what proportion would you recommend?
I need to buy a transport/protect box, how high is the cake please? (excluding decoration)
Thank you in advance for your help, can't wait to make it for my daughter's 2nd birthday!
Hello Fanny, you can make 1/3 ground almonds 2/3 flour but no more to keep a good structure. The cake itself is about 15cm, with the decoration you have to add a few centimeters. Good luck, see you soon :)
I have to make a layer cake for my grandmother's birthday, and I would like to make your recipe! We are 18 people… in general the number of shares indicated are quite “big” and we always end up with a surplus…
My question is: are your portions within the "standard" in which case I can slightly increase the quantities.
Or is it better to make 2 cakes altogether? But I'm afraid that's too much... knowing that there's dinner just before...
I'm very afraid that there won't be enough for everyone and at the same time too much, I don't like waste...
Thank you in advance for your answer ! :)
Hello Kenza, if you go for a layer cake, you will need two cakes because 18 people is a lot! Mine is about 10/12 slices (the slices are high as you see in my pics and video). Goodbye :)
I like your layer cake and especially your very detailed description.
In this period, there are no more strawberries, what do you suggest to replace.
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Hello Martine, this is a recipe for spring/summer. To adapt the fruit to autumn-winter, you can experiment with pear or apple to create compote. Goodbye :)
Hello again, my mold is 20cm in diameter and 15cm high, is it always the ingredients multiplied by 1?
You have the same mold size as the one given in the recipe, so do not change the quantities of ingredients.
I can actually make the recipe on a single 20cm mold because it is high with the ingredients you have indicated, do we agree?
Hello, absolutely not, follow the recipe, which indicates to use 2 molds – or make two successive batches if you only have one mold. Otherwise, you will have a cooking problem, and the result will not be good. You must always respect the pastry recipes, otherwise you will be disappointed…
Hello, is this an accessible recipe for beginners in baking?
Hello Pauline, yes! If you follow the instructions I give in the recipe, and you have the right equipment, the result will be there :) See you soon
Hello, first of all congratulations for your masterpiece ;).
Having only one mold, can I prepare the dough for the 2 cakes at once and make 2 successive batches?
And if I understand correctly, for a 15 cm mould, I divide the quantities indicated by 1,78, right?
Any idea of the cooking time needed for a 15 cm mold?
Hello Alex, yes you have to do 2 successive firings. This is not the correct calculation, however! 1/ calculate the volume of my mold 2/ calculate the volume of your mold 3/ divide the volume of your mold by that of my mold = 0,56. It is necessary to multiply and not to divide… You will supervise for the cooking.
I made this recipe this weekend for my daughter's 8th birthday: the cake was more than appreciated by all (young and old)
Thank you for this recipe, quite simple to make for an amazing result ;)
Thank you Maelle for your feedback! Glad your family enjoyed this layer cake! See you soon :)
Hello and thank you for this recipe! I wish I had made the chocolate cake instead. Would incorporating cocoa into it be good? How much do you think?
Thank you in advance for the reply.
Hello Chloé, it will not be the same recipe at all, so I advise you to take the cocoa sponge cake from my other recipe here: https://liliebakery.fr/layer-cake-chocolat/