An easy and delicious apple dessert: the Tart with apples and salted butter caramel ! This tart is very simple to make (no mold needed) and its taste will not leave you indifferent: puff pastry, apples and a salted butter caramel coulis to coat everything…
A recipe to everyone, with few ingredients: perfect when family or friends arrive unexpectedly! You can eat it on its own (and I assure you that it is self-sufficient) or with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream...
What You'll Love With This Thin Apple Pie Recipe
- flavors : the perfect alliance of apples and caramel in this very gourmet pie… There is also the good taste of puff pastry.
- Texture : the base of the puff pastry is slightly crispy. The slices of apples topped with salted butter caramel become very tender when cooked…
- Difficulty level : very simple ! Besides, you won't need a pie pan. The longest part of this fine apple pie will be peeling the apples…
Ingredients to plan for making it at home
- Puff pastry : round, rectangular or square, it's up to you. The important thing is that it is of high quality (pure butter).
- French Fries : for apples that hold up well when cooked, I recommend Elstar, Pink Lady or Golden.
- Salted butter caramel : here you have two options: either you make this homemade coulis following my recipe, or you buy it from the store. If you buy it, choose the best quality (shortest list of ingredients possible).
NB: the detailed quantities are given in my recipe at the bottom of the page.
The step by step of the salted butter caramel apple tart
The preparation of Salted butter caramel coulis is the first step. It will take you a few minutes, your coulis will be warm for the rest, which is ideal.
For apple tart, we start by unrolling the dough on a baking sheet, then we trace a slight edge with a knife and prick it with a fork. Then we take care of the apples: once sliced, we place them well aligned on the puff pastry.
Finally, we cover the apples with our salted butter caramel coulis before baking. Then out of the oven, add caramel because it has been absorbed by the apples during cooking.
My tips for making this fine tart perfectly successful
- cut apples in thin strips : avoid slices that are too thick to allow them to cook well (and then be tender). You can see the thickness of my apples in my photos.
- cover generous amount of caramel : this is what will give the good caramelized taste to the apples, so load your brush well before cooking (but also after cooking).
- for golden pie, if necessary, use the grill at the end of cooking: once the apples are cooked, the grill is used to finish browning the tart.
How to taste the salted butter caramel apple tart?
This fine apple pie is eaten on its own, which is how I appreciate it the most (and my tribe too). For the greediest, you can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream…
She is better at room temperature, so I advise you to leave it out of the refrigerator and consume it in 3-4 days.
Other recipes to try
If you like apple-based desserts, I also advise you to discover these other recipes from the blog:
If you make this thin apple pie recipe, don't hesitate to tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your lovely pies!
Salted Butter Caramel Apple Tart
- 1 puff pastry round or rectangular
- 4/5 apples which stand up to cooking: Elstar, Pink Lady, Golden…
Salted butter caramel coulis
- 200 g Granulated sugar
- 1 cs water
- 80 g Half-salt butter
- 180 g whole liquid cream 30% mg
- Fleur de sel
Salted butter caramel coulis
- In a saucepan, melt the powdered sugar and water over medium heat. Separately, heat the liquid cream in the microwave then pour it over the caramel obtained. The caramel will harden but you have to keep mixing, it will melt.
- Finish by adding the diced butter and two pinches of fleur de sel. Continue to mix until you get a smooth coulis.
Assembling the pie
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° traditional heat.
- Unroll the puff pastry on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mark the dough with a knife 1cm from the edge (without cutting entirely). Prick the dough with a fork.
- Peel, core and slice the apples fairly thinly (2/3mm). Arrange the slices on the dough, line by line.
- With a pastry brush, generously coat the apples with the salted butter caramel coulis. It should still be liquid. If not, reheat it for a few seconds in the microwave.
- Bake for around 30 minutes. If necessary at the end of cooking, add 2 minutes under the grill so that it is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, add salted butter caramel coulis with a teaspoon, making zig-zags on top of the pie. Serve warm or cold.
- NB: if you have any salted butter caramel left, keep it in a small closed jar in the refrigerator. It keeps for several weeks (perfect on crêpes, pancakes, etc.)