A recipe that is both simple and delicious to enjoy seasonal fruits: the Strawberry rhubarb almond tart. On its shortbread, there is a generous almond filling, and very tasty pieces of rhubarb and strawberries which become tender when cooked ...
I love using almonds in pies, they provide a touch of sweetness to all fruits! It goes very well with rhubarb (to counter its acid side) and with strawberries (to accentuate its sweet finesse). To make this strawberry rhubarb pie, nothing very complicated. I advise you to make the dough in advance (it can be frozen), it will only be faster on D-day.
What ingredients are needed for this strawberry rhubarb tart recipe?
Shortbread side, you will need the basic ingredients with a touch of almonds: softened butter, icing sugar, cornstarch, flour, salt, egg and ground almonds.
To prepare the almond cream filling, you will need: eggs, sugar, softened butter, almond powder, a little cornstarch and salt.
On the fruit side, we will need about XNUMX/XNUMX stems of rhubarb(it depends on their thickness). Mine were red on the outside, it depends on their variety. With the green, it works very well too! For strawberries, my heart always swings towards them gariguettes! But all varieties of strawberries work for this strawberry rhubarb tart.
Finally, for the decoration, I added a small handful of slivered almonds. You can use icing sugar instead if you want.
How to prepare this strawberry rhubarb almond tart?
We start with the shortbread. You can do it in advance and keep it in the refrigerator for 2 days. You can freeze it. To make it, just mix all the ingredients (except the flour and the egg last). It should be placed in the refrigerator for an hour so that it lowers easily.
I used a 26cm mold in diameter for this strawberry rhubarb pie. Little tip: so that the edges of the dough do not slip out of the mold when baking, I place it in the freezer for 5 minutes before baking. The first cooking is done blank (the second will be done with the garnish).
Then we take care of the fruit : the rhubarb is washed and cut into sections (3cm). If they are too thick, do not hesitate to cut lengthwise. They are then mixed with a little sugar and lemon juice so that they soften easily during cooking. We also cut the strawberries in half.
To realize almond cream, we whip butter and sugar then we add the eggs and lastly the mixture of cornstarch and ground almonds. Once the pie shell is cold (otherwise it would melt the filling) we spread it on the pie. Then all you have to do is place the fruit on the filling, pressing them lightly : be generous with fruit. Add the slivered almonds halfway through cooking to prevent them from browning too much.
Other recipes to try
If you like easy and delicious pies, I advise you to take a look at these other recipes from the blog: the Passion fruit vanilla coconut tart, Lemon ginger meringue tarts, Raspberry mascarpone tart on Breton palet, Chocolate coconut pie, Coconut mascarpone tart.
If you make this recipe, don't hesitate to tag @liliebakery on Instagram so I can see your cute pies!
Strawberry Rhubarb Almond Tart
- 95 g softened butter
- 90 g icing sugar
- 50 g cornstarch
- 30 g almond meal
- 1 pinch of salt
- 180 g all-purpose flour
- 1 medium egg
Almond cream filling
- 95g very soft butter
- 2 large eggs
- 90 g light brown sugar
- 125 g almond meal
- 2 cs cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 3 or 4 rhubarb stalks
- 2 cs light brown sugar
- 1 cc lemon juice
- 200 g strawberries
- 1 small handful of sliced almonds
- Mix the soft butter, icing sugar, cornstarch, ground almonds, a pinch of salt. Finish with the flour. Sand the dough well between your fingers then add the egg last.
- Form a ball, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour. Roll out the dough in a mold (mine is 26 cm in diameter). So that the dough does not slip during cooking, put it in the freezer for 5 minutes. Then bake for about 12 minutes in an oven preheated to 190 ° traditional heat (watch the cooking time, it depends on your oven).
- Let the dough cool well before placing the almond filling.
Almond cream filling
- Wash and cut the rhubarb into small stems of about 3cm. Cut the strawberries in half lengthwise. Mix the rhubarb with the sugar and lemon juice to soften it (cooking will be easier).
- Preheat the oven to 190 ° traditional heat.
- With the food processor or hand mixer, whip the butter and sugar until it becomes creamy. Add the eggs one by one.
- Mix the almond powder and the cornstarch then add to the previous mixture.
- Garnish the pie and smooth.
- Arrange the fruit on the pie, pressing them lightly into the almond cream. Be generous with fruit.
- Bake for 20 minutes, add the flaked almonds and continue for another 20 minutes. The pie is ready when it is golden (adjust the duration according to your oven). Let cool on a rack.