A very comforting apple-based dessert:apple pie ! A gourmet pie decorated with lattices of dough that contains melting apples flavored with cinnamon. Simple to prepare, it can be eaten plain or with a scoop of ice cream...
What you will like with this apple pie
- flavors : we feel the taste of the apple but also of the cinnamon which warms the whole.
- Texture : the apples are tender after cooking, but they hold up well when cut. The dough is slightly crispy.
- Difficulty level : the apple pie is not a complicated recipe, the most technical will be to make the crosses of dough on the pie, I explain below.
- apples : for this apple pie I use green apples, granny smiths because they have the advantage of holding up well when cooked. In the absence of granny smith, you can take pink lady but as they are sweeter, it will be necessary to reduce the sugar of the preparation a little.
- sucre : I use brown sugar here, it helps to counterbalance the acidity of the apples.
- spices : I add cinnamon powder and a pinch of 4 spice mix.
- Butter : I take very cold unsalted butter to have a very crispy dough.
How to make an apple pie?
- We prepare the 2 discs of dough (you can make them in advance): by hand or with a robot, it's very easy.
- We make the filling of the apple pie : mix the sliced apples with the dry ingredients and leave to rest.
- Roll out the first disc of dough to make the bottom of the pie then we garnish with the apples.
- Roll out the second disc of dough to cut the strips that come across on the pie.
- We drizzle with egg to make it golden then we bake !
NB: the detailed recipe with the ingredients is given to you at the bottom of the page.
How to make the braces on the apple pie?
With the second disc of dough, cut out 2,5cm wide strips of dough and place them on the pie, spacing them out. Then we lift one in two bands and we place a new strip perpendicular. We fold the raised bands and we continue so on to finish the design.
For good hold when cooking the apple pie: remember to seal the edge well by turning the overhanging dough on itself or by pressing down hard with the tines of a fork.
My tips for making this recipe a success
- use cold butter so that the dough is as crispy as possible. The water added to the batter should also be ice cold.
- to avoid any excess liquid in the pie : it is important to let the apples rest with the flour, sugar and spices. The apples will reject their juice, it is important not to add it when filling the bottom of the pie.
- lay the apple slices on top of each other by packing them on the bottom of the pie: this avoids holes in the apple pie, perfect cut guaranteed!
How to taste the apple pie?
The apple pie is delicious just plain lukewarm, or well cooled. For more indulgence, it can be served with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream…
She keeps at room temperature for up to 2 days. To keep it longer, I advise you to put it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. After the fridge, you have to think about bringing it back to temperature before tasting so that it regains all its flavors.
Other recipes to try
If you like apple desserts, then I advise you to take a look at these other recipes from the blog:
- Apple-cinnamon crumble
- Norman apple pie
- Tart with apples and salted butter caramel
- Apple Cinnamon Maple Syrup Muffins
Apple Pie Like in the USA
Dough (background and decoration)
- 300 g flour
- 230 g very cold unsalted butter in small cubes
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cs Light brown sugar
- 100 g frozen water
- 1 cs cider/white vinegar or lemon juice
- 6/7 Granny Smith apples (green) + or – depending on their size
- 120 g Light brown sugar
- 1 cc cinnamon powder
- 0,25 cc 4 spice powder mix
- 0,5 cc natural vanilla extract
- 1 cs lemon juice
- 2 cs flour or cornstarch
- 20 g diced soft butter
- 1 oeuf
- 1 cs Milk
- Light brown sugar
- In a container (or in a blender), mix the flour, brown sugar and salt. Add cold diced butter. Mix or crumble with your fingers to have a sandy texture. It is normal if there are small pieces of butter left.
- Mix the ice water and the vinegar then add the previous ingredients little by little. With a fork, mix to create a ball of dough. It should be slightly sticky. Do not overwork the dough so that it remains light and crispy when cooked.
- Cut the dough in half, make 2 flattened discs and wrap them in cling film. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- While the dough is resting: peel, core and cut the apples into 0,5cm slices. In a container, put the apple slices, and sprinkle them with lemon juice. Pour in the brown sugar, spices, vanilla and flour. Mix everything for a homogeneous result.
- Roll out the first disk of dough on the work surface to a diameter of about 30cm. Place it in a buttered and floured 23cm pie pan. Add the apple filling (without their juice) on the bottom of the pie, trying to squeeze the slices together, and raise them slightly above the edge of the pie, to have a well-filled apple pie after baking. Place chunks of butter on top.
- Roll out the second disk of dough on the work surface. Cut strips about 2,5cm wide. Cover the pie with half of these strips. Lift every other strip and place a strip perpendicularly then fold the raised strips. Do this to create the set of braces. Seal by rolling the remaining dough from the edges onto itself or by pressing the edge with a fork (depending on the desired effect). Refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ° traditional heat.
- With a brush, coat the apple pie with the egg/milk mixture so that it is golden brown. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake for about 50 minutes (this varies according to your mold and your oven). Halfway through cooking, add an aluminum foil to prevent the top from burning. In the end it should be golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in its mould: this apple pie can be eaten warm or cold according to taste, on its own or with a scoop of ice cream…